Friday, March 6, 2015

Paint Shop

Got a bit of backlogged paint-shop work done.

Whenever possible, I prefer to "spray bomb" with Tamiya or Floquil spray cans, since it's easy to clean up. I try to keep a stock of basic blacks, grays, and flat/glossy finishes on hand in spray cans just so I can slap on a quick coat without worrying about airbrush cleanup.

I used a can of Tamiya Semi-Gloss black (same as on #2's boiler/cab) to paint the final coat on this Shapeways tender:


Next up was to tackle the cartoonishy bright colors on the Mintrains Coaches. The bright green sides and blue-black roofs were way too garish, so I disassembled them for painting.

I used a spray can of Floquil Grimy Black for the roof of each car.


For more specific colors, I have to break out the airbrush. I try to keep my airbrush setup as streamlined as possible, so that I can minimize the amount of tear down and setup I have to go through. My airbrush hangs on a hook right next to my workbench, with the air hose already connected.


The compressor is tied into a surge protector, so all I have to do is flip a switch.


I use a scrap piece of MDF clamped to a portable workmate as my airbrushing station. I arrange it so that the light from the open garage door is coming in from behind me; this way I get clear lighting on the object I'm spraying. Of course, one needs paper towels and water; it would be nice to have a sink in the garage, but I don't, so I keep one cup for clean water and another as a "flush bucket" for cleaning the brush.


I use water-based paints exclusively for airbrushing, just because I prefer the ease of cleanup. I tend to spray around 25 to 30 psi for solid finishes like this. 

I slapped a coat of Pullman Green on the coaches, and I'm really pleased with the color. I think it's a big improvement.


Already these coaches are looking much better. Next step is to clearcoat and decal, then reassemble and give them a light weathering treatment. These will need to be upgraded to Micro-Trains couplers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment