Thursday, April 2, 2015

More progress on the Cafe

Making more progress on the Cafe. I decided to do a base stain of India Ink and Alcohol, followed by a thinned wash/drybrush of white acrylic to simulate a weather-worn whitewash. The trim was drybrushed a light cornflower blue.





You can see in the last shot the raw India Ink stain, as I figured the back of the false-front facade wouldn't have been painted.

I installed the roof and dry-fitted the windows. I also began applying the Bar Mills shingles, which look very convincing.


I decided to enlarge the opening for the front door to accommodate a taller door with a transom window above it. The door will be painted white, with the light blue trim.


Getting close to finished on this build. What's left?

-Paint and install the front door
-Finish shingles
-Fabricate and install kitchen smoke-jack
-Fabricate and install Cafe sign
-Fabricate and install front porch awning and boardwalk

This has been a good ramp-up project to get myself excited about completing the structures on the layout. I also have to tackle the Hotel, a small water-tower, and decide which direction I'd like to go on the industrial spur near the depot.

No comments:

Post a Comment