Monday, July 6, 2015

Track Painting Pt. 1, and a New Concept for a Backdrop.

Hello folks! Summer continues to be busy, but I had some time to mull over some design decisions as well as get into the garage tonight for a short work session.

The weather is cooling down a bit, so after the sun started to set I took advantage of the breezy dusk to spend some time in the garage. I really enjoy work sessions with the garage door open when the weather is mild and brisk like today was.

I've been enjoying my new airbrush, so I thought I'd finally get around to painting my track. As described in another post, my plan all along has been to use the method described in Joey Ricard's track painting video:


The basic idea is that you apply a base "tooth" coat of flat black, followed by light suede craft paint for the ties, and a rust-colored solution of powders and alcohol to the rails; then, everything is "dumbed down" in color gradient using a wash of black-grey powders. In my test trials, I've had good success with this method, but there are a few drawbacks for my application:

1. Craft Paints- the amount of time it takes to hand paint the ties is prohibitive, even on a small layout like mine. Also, in HO scale, the thickness of the craft paint obscures the finer woodgrain detail on the ties.

2. Rust Powders- in my tests, the pastel/alcohol solution never stuck to the base coat on the rail web.

I decided to break out the airbrush to help solve the above problems. I could lay a much finer coat of paint that way, in a much shorter amount of time.

First, a base coat of grimy black went on.



Then, I laid in the "suede" color on the ties; this is Polly Scale "earth."



I'm actually more pleased with this effect. There is a subtle counter-shading effect resulting from the black undercoat, as well as some variation in the tie shading that I think will help the final product once the weathering wash is laid in.

After taking some time away from the layout, I've had some time to reconsider some design decisions. Here are two sections that have been bothering me, scenically:


Visually, the terrain doesn't make sense; why would the MVRR inexplicably build curves through two deep cuts?. It looks cartoonish and fake. It spoils an otherwise gently rolling landscape. Furthermore, I'm bothered by the fact that the track in the back will be visible; it again spoils the depth of the scene.

I realized the problem is the basic fact that I am dealing with only 16" of depth in the scene. If I really want to create an illusion of depth, I have to completely hide the back of the layout with a backdrop.

Hence, this idea:


I had originally avoided using a mid-layout backdrop because the exit/entry points where the track must duck through are usually hard to hide. However, I think the tradeoff is worth it in this case. 

Perhaps a backdrop of the photo-realistic kind would be most appropriate. I'd love to give Trackside Scenery's products a test in this regard.

The hardest part is going to be reverse engineering a way to mount the backdrop in place. Still brainstorming that particular idea.

So, with my idea solidified, I ripped out the offending topography.



That's it for now! I always appreciate feedback and suggestions, if you care to leave any in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment