Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Dirt!

In a rare stroke of effort, I went out to the garage and actually did something on the layout today.

Zip texturing applied, waiting for it to dry. I really like the effect of the track weathering and the contrast with the dirt.

Dirt!

While much of the dirt will be covered in static grass and ground foam, I find it satisfying to lay down a base layer of dirt before applying the ballast and the vegetation.

Previously, I tried using unsanded grout on my N scale layout. While the texture and color was great, the reaction with the glue created a strange, glossy finish to the dirt. Also, the grout tended to "float" above the baseboard as a solid layer, meaning it would crack and pull up during passes with a vaccum cleaner. No bueno.

So, I'm trying a technique that is new to me, but not new to the model railroading world: zip texturing.

Zip texturing is a tinting and texturing method using a mix of tempra paints and plaster of paris. The paints serve as the tinting agent, and the plaster of paris binds it together when wet.

Following some online tutorials, I mixed one part each of black, brown, and yellow to twenty-four parts plaster of paris for my tan-colored dirt. There are other "recipes" that will result in different earth tones; I'm thinking that I will mix some different variants to add washes of other colors and textures.

The texture is nice; hoping that it stays affixed that way.

Laying it on couldn't be simpler. Track is masked off. The surface is misted with water, and then the "dirt" is applied thinly using a tea strainer. Then, one more pass with the mister to wet everything down thoroughly.


Any missed spots were wet down again, then more "dirt" was sifted on top and moistened again. The whole job took about 30 minutes. I'm waiting for it to dry now. Keeping my fingers crossed for success!


I left the areas where the buildings will be going blank for now; that way, I can plan out foundations and roads first, then lay dirt in around them.


Keen eyes will note some bright yellow granules; that's yellow tempra that didn't quite mix in well. I will fix it by going back in with some drybrushing, or, cover it with grass. It's a good reminder to mix everything really well the next time around. 

I'll post back here once I determine if the zip texturing was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment