Saturday, June 14, 2014

A Depot for the MVRRy

While I await delivery of ties to start laying rail, and detail parts for my 0-4-0, decided I would start working on the depot.

Here's the inspiration: the Scale Model Masterpieces shortline depot. You can see the resemblance of this to the little sketch I did for this Blog's logo. This station has the perfect "look" for my little layout, and the train-order signal fairly screams shortline railroad. However, I didn't want to spend $60 on the kit; and I wanted to change the stone construction to board and batten. Scratchbuild!



Using a scale ruler and some cardstock, I made a paper mockup to get the dimensions I wanted. I went through a few iterations to get the ratio just right. There is something relaxing about free-styling with some cardstock, a pencil, and a ruler; it's arts & crafts all over again.


Then, I started cutting and assembling the walls, using measurements from the cardstock model as a dimensional guide.



As you can see, I use painter's tape to secure one of the walls as I carefull attach the others. 90 degree braces are formed from the corners of the scrap pieces, and they help shore up the walls.

The final wall assembly, with primary rafter supports installed.


The walls, trim, and doors/windows were spray-bombed with cheap grey Krylon primer.


I realized after spray-bombing that I still need to cut pockets in the long walls for the angled 2x6 rafters that will support the eaves. I ordered those, a train-order signal kit and some shake-shingles today.

Now, to decide on a color scheme. I've always been partial to AT&SF style off-yellow and green, but I'm thinking of going in another direction with this one, maybe grey and maroon.

As I progress further, I'll post more step-by-step construction photos. I hope this inspires you to try scratchbuilding a project of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment