Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What the heck is the "Marmion Valley Railway"?

Hello world,

I'm pleased to introduce the blog that will chronicle the construction and concepts behind the Marmion Valley Railway, a lifelong N-scaler's first foray to the dark side of HOn30. I hope you enjoy coming along on this little journey of mine.

While I have long had a hidden passion for all things narrow-gauge (probably ignited by a boyhood trip on the Durango and Silverton), I have, for most of my model-railroading life, been a dyed-in-the-wool N scaler at heart.

However, when the itch to start a narrow gauge project railroad started, Nn3 (N scale's little-known and mystery-shrouded narrow-gauge cousin) didn't really seem attractive to me. Appropriate Z scale mechanisms are hard to find (not to mention expensive!), and don't really attain the level of detail I am interested in. I flirted briefly with On30, especially entranced with the unique and good-running equipment Bachmann makes, but the locos and rolling stock I collected lived neglected in their respective boxes for want of adequate space to roam about in.

The middle ground was HO - I think the connection of rail gauge between HOn30 and N attracted me. HOn30 allows for a lot of railroad in smaller spaces with a high level of detail.

When I saw this white metal and brass kit from Toma Model Works, I was sold.


This is the beginning of Marmion Valley engine No. 2. I think it captures just the right flavor of detail, plausibility, and charm for a freelance loco of this type; and it sets the tone for the small-time, out-in-the-sticks, spit-and-bailing-wire operation that the MVRy. will be.

I'm starting small, because space is limited around the homestead right now. This little layout is 2'x4', and officially qualifies as a "Micro Layout" by HO standards.


Eventually, I have plans to expand by creating a series of FreeMo-style modules. For now, this little layout will serve as an experimental platform to introduce myself to the dark-art of narrow gauge modeling.

A Word on the Name

The original "Marmion Valley Ry." was a freelanced N scale standard-gauge layout of about the same size; it didn't really make it much past track laying, though it was operational. "Marmion" was derived from the name of the street our first house was located on; it also means "The Little One" in French, so it seemed the perfect double-meaning moniker for a model railroad.

We are to imagine that the Marmion Valley Ry., in its current incarnation, is a 30" gauge shortline serving a fertile agricultural valley "somewhere" in Central California. While 30" was rare, if not non-existent in the states, the author begs the suspension of disbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment