Friday, January 23, 2015

Groundcover progress on the test module, 2-4-0 conversion, and track arrives!

In a few sporadic work sessions, I have managed to get some scenery done on the test module.
As mentioned before, this module is really a "proof of concept" exercise, and it is also providing me a test bed to try out some new techniques.

I'm really happy with how the track is turning out. The method I am using is one of the abovementioned new techniques, and I think the results are perfect for this scale. The application of this light tan ballast really ties it all together.





In the application of ground cover, I'm really trying to emulate the olive drab and darker green hues of southern and central coastal California. I'm not really sure that I'm "nailing it," and what's more frustrating is that I'm not particularly certain why.





It is hard to put my thumb on what, specifically, is bothering me about the ground cover.
I tested several different adhesives for the static grass (white glue, diluted white glue, spray adhesive, matte medium) and decided I liked the matte medium the best. I'm using a homemade static grass applicator made from a $7.99 electric flyswatter.



My recipe for basic ground cover is: dirt (real dirt, blended and sifted), then fine ground foam (a mixture of several different colors), medium coarse ground foam for scrub, then static grass.
I'm sure some of what is missing is the presence of TREES, WEEDS and BUSHES, but that will come as the next step.

I tested out some conversion parts from Shapeways to turn #2 into a 2-4-0. The pilot truck and a longer cowcatcher were installed.




Again, I'm still evaluating whether I like this modification. In a prototypical sense, a 2-4-0 has a little more feasibility than an 0-4-0 does on the mainline. However, I'm still getting used to the look of the extended pilot; it does look a littlr bit out of proportion. It's growing on me, though.

A package arrived full of flex track and turnouts for the full layout. It sure feels like a full 180 going from handlaid track to flex, but I'm actually pretty optimistic about this change, especially after seeing the results on the test module. I do have to say that the electrofrog turnouts feel really solidly built, and the spring switch in the points has a nice "snap" to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment