Thursday, January 8, 2015

More progress on the test module

Construction on the test-module continues. I'm really enjoying building this little test module to try out all the new scenery techniques I will use on the bigger layout.

Carved and sanded the foam contours together. Really pleased with the results.


To fill this strange accidental gap, I carved some rock outcroppings from some leftover foam scraps.


While I have usually used Sculptamold on other projects, I wanted to give using lightweight spackle as a scenery base a try.



The results are comparable to sculptamold, but a bit easier to sand. Quicker dry time too. I'm a fan.

Tacked on the fascia with wood glue; wherever possible, I'm using adhesive instead of screws or nails to help cut down on weight.



After sanding and blending, a coat of medium-brown latex paint was added to seal the foam and create a base color.


Track weathering! I'm using a method that Joey Ricard of Trackside Scenery did a video about on his YouTube channel. Essentially, you use acrylics to paint the ties a suede/tan color, and a chalk alcohol mixture to create a rust-colored and textured paint for the rails. The initial result is quite bright and clownish, to say the least.



However, the real effect happens when everything is dusted with grimy black powders.



The brighter colors under the powders create subtle highlights. I really like the texture of the chalk-paint on the rails.

Finally, everything was given a thorough "dirting". This is sifted and blender-ed dirt from the yard.


Just waiting for that to dry, then it's off to the races with more scenery and ballast.

As I mentioned, a lot of these techniques are new to me, and I'm really enjoying trying everything out. An added bonus is that most of the techniques use budget materials, and yield a very realistic result.

No comments:

Post a Comment