Thursday, February 12, 2015

Coupler Discovery

As I ponder the near-future of the layout, the fact that I'll need to standardize couplers is looming very soon on my to-do list. If it's one thing I've learned from other layouts, it's that your rolling stock must be reliable and bullet-proof to keep trains rolling and interest in the layout piqued.

Minitrains rolling stock comes with European-standard "hook and loop" style couplers. For an American-style layout, Micro Trains 1015 or similar knuckle-style couplers are more appropriate and tend to be a universal fit.

I put my MT coupler gauge on the track to test out how I might go about converting the passenger cars. Imagine my surprise when the "loop" part of the truck's coupler snuggled right over the post of the Micro-Trains trip pin.



Believe it or not, the fit was quite snug and secure.


So, I think that the upshot is, for now, I can keep my passenger consist with their original couplers, and still use them in mixed consists as I upgrade my loco and freight rolling stock.

I had a chance to work a bit on the new tender for #2:


Mounted a drawbar pin in the chassis; the parts are primed and awaiting a coat of black paint. Then I'll go to town with fitting some lead weight to give it some "heft," as well as mount the MT 1015 coupler at the rear.

No comments:

Post a Comment