Friday, February 20, 2015

Tinkercad

I have been fascinated by the advances that have been made in the area of 3D printing. More and more people are taking advantage of great services like Shapeways to create unique and varied parts and kit conversions; it really allows anyone with 3D design ability to create an unlimited array of specific, customized elements, on the same level as a major kit manufacturer.

As I become more involved with the HOn30 world, I've really been pondering the utility of being able to design custom parts for loco and rolling stock conversions. I've dabbled in graphic design for some time, but I've never crossed the threshold into 3D.

Enter Tinkercad, a web-based CAD platform that leads you through a series of basic tutorials to get you started. By using a predetermined palette of shapes and tools, it really makes it a snap.

I burned through the tutorials in an hour or so (many concepts from vector graphics programs apply to CAD), and was knee deep in trying to design some basic steam locomotive parts in no time.

A completed steam dome, and the beginnings of a headlight visor.

When you start to visualize 3D objects as interactions of basic geometric shapes, it begins to make a lot of sense.

I'm really excited about this program, basic as it is, and am enjoying it immensely. The OCD side of my personality loves the ability to design a precise rendering, and have the part produced for me.

I'm already brainstorming new ideas for a series of conversion kits and detail parts for HOn30 steam locos and rolling stock. Who knows? This could develop into a side business.

No comments:

Post a Comment