Sunday, February 15, 2015

Model Power Madness

One of the things I love about HOn30 is the fact that there are so many kitbashing and scratchbuilding possibilities using N scale donor mechanisms. 

I recently scored eBay deals on two popular N Scale steamers that are often used for said conversions; a Model Power 4-4-0 and 2-6-0. The locos were recently discontinued, so finding a couple for my loco stable was a must.


These little gems are well detailed for their home scale, and run very smoothly. They also have the benefit of being fairly easy to convert to DCC, with leads already provided for soldering in the tender.

A user by the name of Myner Models (a.k.a. "Pinndle") produces a series of conversion parts available on Shapeways that can turn these locos into convincing, freelanced HOn30 steamers.


I received the 2-6-0 first, and it is a nice little runner. Only problem is, it doesn't really play nicely with the 7" curves on the Marmion Valley mini layout.

I had hopes that the 4-4-0 would have a better chance, but these locos are built on the same basic frame; unfortunately, both of them pop off the track on such tight curves. It seems that the mini layout will have to be the sole domain of the Minitrains 2-4-0, and other similar short-wheelbase stock.

The HOn30 addiction is taking hold, though, so I'm sure that there will be other pastures for these locos to roam soon. Once I complete the smaller layout, I have it in mind to build a modular style switching layout with larger turnouts and bigger curve radii.

I'm thinking that I will keep one of these intact as an N scale loco, and convert the other to HOn30. The 4-4-0 seems more like the "narrow gauge" candidate to me...what do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment